Chili powder lends a little kick to these flaky, buttery biscuits. "I like to serve them with steaming bowls of chili or hearty beef soup," writes Kim Marie Van Rheenen of Mendota, Illinois.
Recommended: 20 Iconic American Chili Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and egg just until moistened. Add cheese; mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 15 biscuits.
Originally published as Chili Cheddar Biscuits in Taste of Home December/January 2004, p43