Chili Beef Corn Bread Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in cornstarch, onion, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir in tomato sauce. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil until blended; stir in corn. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture. Spread remaining batter over filling.
- Bake, uncovered, until a toothpick inserted in corn bread portion comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with sour cream and salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without sour cream and salsa): 482 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Dec 19, 2015
It was ok.
Jul 6, 2015
I followed this recipe except added chopped onions to the beef. It was just okay. It needs something to add more flavor. Maybe chili beans instead of plain tomato sauce. It is a good basic recipe. If you do make it I strongly recommend jazzing it up a bit. It has room for improvement. I also needed to bake it for about 45 minutes because at 30 the middle wasn't cooked all the way. It tasted good with sour cream on top.
Jan 18, 2014
Enjoyed this casserole. Will make again. The only thing I did differently was to use real onion and garlic... Otherwise made as per recipe..... Will make again.
Jan 2, 2014
This was great! I cut the tomato sauce in half and added a can of chili beans with sauce. I think next time I'll leave the cheese out of the corn bread and add green chiles for flavor. I may also swap honey for sugar. I didn't have creamed corn so I added whole kernel corn with some corn juice and it worked fine. I did bake longer than directed, almost 45 minutes, until the bread was nicely browned on top. Looking forward to sharing this recipe!
Nov 15, 2013
My family did not care for this casserole. It was mushy and too sweet. Just ok.
Nov 12, 2013
I used whole kernel corn as I did not have creamed corn. To add creaminess to the cornbread in absence of the creamed corn I added about 1/3 c sour cream to the cornbread. For those that like it spicy you might want to add chilis or cumin.
Nov 5, 2013
It was just ok, I added a can of chopped green chiles to the meat, but think it needed something more....maybe the jalapenos
Nov 2, 2013
This is a great casserole, simple and easy to make. I tweaked it to lower salt content by using no salt tomatoes instead of sauce. Also added Jalapenos for a little heat. Everyone loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.