Chili Beef Bake
"We served this zesty casserole at a fund-raising luncheon for a local college," shares Martha Huffman of Monticello, Arkansas. "The students went crazy for it and come back for seconds and thirds. Some even asked for the recipe, which relies on convenient canned beans, soup and tomatoes."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 slices process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- In a skillet, brown beef; drain. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender. Remove from the heat; add chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Place six tortillas in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, overlapping slightly. Top with half of the meat mixture. Layer with beans, remaining meat mixture, cheese and remaining tortillas. Combine soup and tomatoes; pour over tortillas (dish will be full). Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 521 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 1444mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Chili Beef Bake in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips