"We served this zesty casserole at a fund-raising luncheon for a local college," shares Martha Huffman of Monticello, Arkansas. "The students went crazy for it and come back for seconds and thirds. Some even asked for the recipe, which relies on convenient canned beans, soup and tomatoes."
Recommended: 75 Winning Recipes For Your Super Bowl Potluck
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 slices process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- In a skillet, brown beef; drain. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender. Remove from the heat; add chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Place six tortillas in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, overlapping slightly. Top with half of the meat mixture. Layer with beans, remaining meat mixture, cheese and remaining tortillas. Combine soup and tomatoes; pour over tortillas (dish will be full). Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chili Beef Bake in Quick Cooking November/December 1998, p22
Reviews forChili Beef Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2009
"My husband loves mexican food.So he makes me make this once a week."