"In an effort to eat healthier, I've been playing around with some recipes, including this hearty omelet," writes field editor Cathee Bethel of Lebanon, Oregon. The bountiful blend of tomatoes, kidney beans, cheese and onion makes it a satisfying centerpiece for breakfast, brunch or supper.
Recommended: 39 Quick Vegetarian Meals for Winter Weeknights
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned kidney beans, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, saute the tomato, onion, beans, garlic, celery salt, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce in 1 teaspoon oil until liquid has evaporated; set aside and keep warm.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and salt. Heat remaining oil in an 8-in. skillet over medium-low heat; add eggs. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When the eggs are nearly set, sprinkle vegetable mixture over one side. Fold omelet over filling. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Chili Bean Cheese Omelet in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p23