Although I live in a big city, I'm really a country cook. Most of our friends laugh about eating grits, but there's never any leftovers from this recipe. —Rosemary West, Las Vegas, Nevada
Recommended: 31 Casserole Recipes for January
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grits
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water and milk to a boil. Add grits, cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or thickened. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot grits into yolks; mix well. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Add 3/4 cup cheese, butter, chilies and salt. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chili 'N' Cheese Grits in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p273