Chiles Relleno Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Cook until green pepper is tender. Combine cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses; set aside.
- In a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half each of meat mixture, chilies and cheese; repeat with remaining meat mixture, chilies and cheese. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the egg, cream and flour; pour over cheese layer.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cover with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until set.
Aug 18, 2009
Wow! This was incredible! I layered lots of whole chilis instead of chopped and omitted the tomato sauce but this was wonderful! My husband said he could eat it every night. Yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.