Chile Relleno Souffle
After we spent the night at our friends’ house in Arizona, we awoke to the tantalizing aroma of an egg soufflé. It brings back great memories. —Pat Coyne, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread green chilies in a greased 11x7-in baking dish; sprinkle with olives, onion and cheese. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, biscuit mix, milk and pepper until blended. Stir in cottage cheese; pour over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with salsa and sour cream.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked souffle, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Remove souffle from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, as directed, increasing time as necessary until golden, puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 305 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Chili Rellenos Souffle in Breakfast & Brunch 2015 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.