- 7 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Split chilies lengthwise; rinse and remove seeds. Drain on paper towels; pat dry. Stuff chilies with cheese strips. Place half of chilies in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, flour, salt, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth; pour over chilies. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChile Relleno Casserole
"It was cheesy good. Put some salsa on top of it to spice it up"
"This was very comparable to the chiles rellenos that I always get when we go out to eat Mexican food, which is one of my favorite things to order. Also very easy to make. Made the recipe as is and I wouldn't change a thing."
"Families favorite have made it many times. Only change I made was using pepper jack cheese. Thanks for a wonderful recipe."
"I made this for my husband; his favorite dish to get when we eat at our local Mexican food joint. He likes them the way the restaurants make them so of course I tweeked this recipe. I couldn't find canned peppers in my area; so I used 6 fresh ones. I removed the seeds and did not split them in half. I also filled them with seasoned ground beef and a cube of the Monterey Jack Cheese. Baked the dish for about 10 more minutes than the original called for; until the peppers became tender, easy to put a knife through. I served it with a tomato salsa and the husband went back for 2nds!"
"My picky husband loved this and so did my daughter's family. This one's a keeper!"
"This was just an "okay" recipe for our household. Good enough to eat but not good enough to make again."
"Loved it! I always get the chiles relleno when we go out, and this was just as tasty!"
"This was so good and easy! I only used Monterey Jack cheese (like it better than cheddar), and it was great."