Chickpea Sandwich Spread
Trish Quinn of Cheyenne, Wyoming came up with this spread as an alternative to lunch meat. "The pickle juice gives this hummus-like mixture added flavor without fat," she notes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup dill pickle relish
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon honey Dijon mustard
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 7 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 2 cups fresh torn spinach
- 7 tomato slices, halved
- In a blender, combine the pickle relish, mayonnaise, pickle juice and mustard. Add one can of chickpeas; cover and process until smooth. Gradually add remaining can of chickpeas; blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl; stir in celery and carrot. Line pita bread with spinach leaves and tomato slices. Place about 1/2 cup chickpea mixture in each pita half.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 293 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 601mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Chickpea Sandwich Spread in Light & Tasty February/March 2005