Chickpea 'n' Red Onion Burgers Recipe
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fat-free red wine vinaigrette
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ or dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix onion and vinaigrette. Place chickpeas, walnuts, wheat germ and parsley in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add eggs, curry and pepper; process until smooth.
- 2. Shape into six patties. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and mustard; spread over cut sides of buns. Serve patties on buns with lettuce, basil and onion mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger: 386 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 732mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Chickpea 'n' Red Onion Burgers
"These were surprisingly pretty good! My husband and I enjoyed them and I will make them again. The next time I will chop the basil and add it to the mayonnaise/mustard mixture, just to make assembly easier."
"The "patties" are a bit hard to work with - more like big cookies than a solid patty - but they cooked pretty well, and held together on the bun. The walnuts add a depth to the flavor. They do turn out a bit dry, but the suggested onion topping and mustard add soem moisture to the texture. Next time, I will try making these ahead in hopes that they will solidify in the fridge before baking."