- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler. For sauce, mix sour cream and salsa.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir red pepper and onion over medium heat until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth, chickpeas, chipotles, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Coarsely mash mixture with a potato masher; stir in cilantro and lime juice. If desired, cook over low heat to thicken, stirring frequently.
- In batches, spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet; broil 4-5 in. from heat until crisp and lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. To serve, top tortillas with chickpea mixture, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forChickpea & Chipotle Tostadas
"The men of the family weren't interested in this dish and the ladies didn't go back for seconds. So I suppose, in our family, this recipe wasn't a favorite. Always fun to experiment on new recipes anyway!"