Chickie Cheese Sandwiches
Folks are sure to crack a smile when they see these irresistible open-faced sandwiches. Two kinds of cheese and a few olive pieces create the cheery chick that sits atop each ham slice.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 slices bread
- 4 to 8 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 8 slices fully cooked ham
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 pitted ripe olives
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread each slice with mustard; top with ham. Using a 3-1/2-in. egg-shaped cutter, cut mozzarella cheese into egg shapes (discard trimmings or save for another use). Using a sharp knife, cut zigzags in the middle of each egg shape. Place on ham, leaving 1 in. of space between the two pieces.
- For each chick, sprinkle cheddar cheese between the two egg pieces. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cut olives into eight triangles for beaks and 16 small pieces for eyes. Arrange on chicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Chickie Cheese Sandwiches in Quick Cooking March/April 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.