Chicken with Tarragon Sauce
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- 3. Add shallot to same pan; cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Add cream, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook until slightly thickened. Stir in 2 teaspoons tarragon, lemon juice and remaining salt. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle with remaining tarragon.
1 chicken breast half with 2 tablespoons sauce: 370 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein.
Dec 14, 2017
Excellent, served with white rice.
Dec 13, 2017
This is so easy and delicious!! Instead of salt and pepper I like to season my chicken with Mrs. Dash original before cooking. Makes the chicken delicious and along with this sauce, excellent!
Jan 27, 2017
This is a fantastic recipe. If you love tarragon, you will love this. I will make this the rest of my life!
Nov 26, 2016
We loved the sauce on the chicken. That was the flavor part!! I'll be making this again.
Oct 28, 2016
We absolutely loved this dinner. It turned out great! I like trying new recipies, but it's a gamble, most of the time they turn out but sometimes not. This is one for my recipe box for sure.
Sep 18, 2016
I'm a little behind in reviewing this fantastic recipe. I doubled the recipe also and added the mushrooms and wine as suggested in a review. I also sliced the chicken breasts into strips...cooks faster and I know it's cooked completely. I served it over a multi-grain rice blend and saut?ed spinach in garlic oil. Next time I am going to use half Greek yogurt and half cream. Easy and wonderfully delicious.
Nov 30, 2015
Doubled recipe for a dinner party- was excellent. Added chopped shiitake mushrooms and a bit of white wine with the shallots. Thank you for this wonderful recipe!
Oct 28, 2015
Tarragon is the herb in b?arnaise sauce, and I love b?arnaise, so I loved this recipe! I had never pounded chicken breasts before, but it made such a difference in the texture of the meat and how evenly they cooked, I will never NOT pound them again. I made this almost exactly as written except I omitted the shallot altogether, used dried tarragon instead of fresh, and used the whole half pint container of whipping cream (1 cup) rather than just 3/4 of it. This recipe was so easy and so delicious, I will make it forever. Definitely one of my all time favorite recipes of any kind!
Sep 5, 2015
My husband and I really liked this. I used half and half instead of whipping cream and green onion instead of shallots. The second time I made it I didn't have any half and half so I used sour cream. That was even better.
Mar 14, 2015
I made this recipe exactly as written except I used 2 green onions (scallions) in place of the shallot. My family kept saying how good it was. It was so quick and easy to prepare. Definitely a keeper!