When we have family gatherings, we give the slow cooker kitchen duty. This yummy chicken with pumpkin and apricots has the warm flavors of Morocco. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 peeled and cubed fresh Sugar Baby pumpkins (5 to 6 cups each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dried Turkish apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, optional
- Place pumpkin in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken thighs on all sides. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. In same skillet, saute onions and garlic 1-2 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Add next eight ingredients to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 4-5 hours. Top with parsley. If desired, serve with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Sugar Pumpkins & Apricots in Taste of Home December 2016