Chicken with Red Pepper Sauce and Spinach
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 7-1/2 cups)
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white. In another shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs and salt. Dip chicken in egg white, then roll in crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-5 minutes per side. Meanwhile, place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam just until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Process peppers, garlic and Italian seasoning in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave until heated through.
- Divide spinach among four plates. Serve with chicken; top with about 2 tablespoons red pepper sauce, 2 tablespoons cheese and, if desired, basil.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 245 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Sep 4, 2012
Chicken was very good. Sauce was especially delicious.
Jun 9, 2010
This was a really tasty recipe. My husband will not eat red peppers, but didn't realize what this was until he raved about it. I felt good serving this to my family.
Aug 23, 2008
Very good. My changes might be to add the basil to the red pepper sauce. I also used gorgonzola cheese in place of feta since I had used it in another recipe. More spinach, too. Four stars.
Aug 10, 2008
This was ever so easy to prepare and truly yummy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.