Chicken with Red Pepper Sauce and Spinach
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 7-1/2 cups)
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white. In another shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs and salt. Dip chicken in egg white, then roll in crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-5 minutes per side. Meanwhile, place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam just until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Process peppers, garlic and Italian seasoning in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave until heated through.
- Divide spinach among four plates. Serve with chicken; top with about 2 tablespoons red pepper sauce, 2 tablespoons cheese and, if desired, basil.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 245 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Sep 4, 2012
Chicken was very good. Sauce was especially delicious.
Jun 9, 2010
This was a really tasty recipe. My husband will not eat red peppers, but didn't realize what this was until he raved about it. I felt good serving this to my family.
Aug 23, 2008
Very good. My changes might be to add the basil to the red pepper sauce. I also used gorgonzola cheese in place of feta since I had used it in another recipe. More spinach, too. Four stars.
Aug 10, 2008
This was ever so easy to prepare and truly yummy.