Chicken with Pears and Squash
This flavorful fall dish highlighting pears and squash is a surprisingly easy dish. It is a wonderful one skillet dish which comes together so quickly.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil on all sides; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook onion in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain pears, reserving syrup; set pears aside. In a small bowl, place the remaining flour; add the broth, thyme and reserved pear syrup until blended. Add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and squash is tender. Add reserved pears; cook until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 348 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Chicken with Pears and Rutabagas in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.