Chicken with Pear & Sweet Potato
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 medium ripe pear, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon or 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same pan, combine sweet potato and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in pear; cook, covered, until potato is tender, 4-5 minutes longer. Add vinegar, mustard and tarragon; stir in remaining water and heat through. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken with 3/4 cup potato mixture : 301 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 20, 2016
I usually like red wine vinegar and sweet potatoes, but did not care for this recipe.
May 4, 2016
Maybe it was the red wine vinegar but there was something that just made this taste ICK. Between the pear and the sweet potato I thought this would be on the sweet side but it wasn't. It just did not taste good.
Jan 3, 2016
The chicken was very tender and easy to make. The pear was tasty, though I didn't care for the sweet potato. Both took a bit longer to cook than listed, so I returned the chicken to the pan for about five minutes at the end. I might make this one again, minus the sweet potato.