Chicken With Orange Sauce
Our Test Kitchen used sliced peppers and onion to give this tender chicken dinner its attractive look. A homemade sweet-and-sour sauce delivers a hint of orange while slivered almonds offer a nice crunch.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2-1/2 cups water
- ORANGE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a pressure cooker, brown chicken in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Remove chicken to a 30x18-in. piece of heavy-duty foil. Top with onion, peppers, garlic and orange zest. Wrap tightly.
- Place on a rack in pressure cooker; add water. Close over securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook for 12 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed.)
- Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and orange juice until smooth. Stir in the sherry or broth, teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, butter and ginger. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving platter. Top with sauce; sprinkle with almonds.