Chicken with Garden Salsa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 slices Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese, halved
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, oil, garlic salt and pepper. Set aside 5 tablespoons. Pour remaining lime juice mixture into a resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal and turn to coat; let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the corn, tomato, pepper, green onion, cumin and 3 tablespoons reserved lime juice mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting twice with remaining lime juice mixture.
- Top with cheese; grill or broil 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 239 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 8, 2018
This is a great recipe. My family loves the lime flavor. You can make this with any salsa you like.
Jul 24, 2013
Nice flavor. I didn't use as much lime juice as it called for.
Jan 6, 2011
I really enjoyed this recipe! My husband said there was a little too much of a lime taste, but I loved it. I guess it's more of a personal preference.
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks for a great, quick, easy recipe. The lime kind of tenderises the chicken so it cooks up brilliantly without becoming dry and tough.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.