Chicken with Fennel Stuffing
We stuff a beautiful golden bird with fantastic fennel stuffing for an easy, yet impressive entree for guests.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 2-3/4 hours + standing
Makes6 servings (6 cups stuffing)
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (7 to 8 pounds)
- In a large skillet, saute fennel and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Place in a large bowl. Stir in the stuffing cubes, broth, thyme, sage, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken with 3 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; brush over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170°.
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover chicken and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 774 calories, 41g fat (14g saturated fat), 200mg cholesterol, 1230mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 63g protein.
Sep 2, 2011
This was absolutely delicious
Feb 26, 2011
The fennel is a tasty change from celery in the stuffing. My family liked the flavor very much. However, I just rubbed the softened butter over the bird instead of melting it. Very good and easy.