A mild curry sauce complements the tender chicken and sweet apples in this speedy microwave main dish. "This rapid recipe is perfect for the working gal. I like to serve it over aromatic basmati rice, says Janet Boulger of Botwood, Newfoundland.
Recommended: 100 Ways to Cook Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled apple
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Hot cooked noodles or rice, optional
- Place butter in a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 40-50 seconds or until melted. Stir in curry powder. Add onion and apple; stir until coated. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once.
- Stir in the soup, milk, chicken and mushrooms; cover and microwave on high for 9-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring twice. Add peas; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until peas are tender. Serve over noodles if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Curried Chicken in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p19