Chicken with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with salt. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in oil on both sides.
- 2. Add the onions, broth, jalapenos and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 3. Stir cream cheese and sour cream into onion mixture until blended. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Serve with chicken and rice. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups sauce).
1 each: 376 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chicken with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
"Very good recipe! I make it all the time with any kind of meat!"
"This was absolutely delicious! I was out of cumin and used Cajun seasoning. I also slightly pounded out the chicken so it cooked evenly. I will definitely be making this again."
"Pretty good. Sauce turned out a bit runny.. While we liked it ok, I am not sure I feel positively enough about it to make it again."
"This recipe has great flavor. We would add another jalapeno or different type of pepper to jack the heat up next time. I ran out of sour cream, so I just added a touch of milk to smooth out the sauce and it was delicious!"
"Fantastic creamy, colorful sauce, super easy and fast to make."
"My family can't take a lot of heat (spicy heat) so I used fired roasted poblano pepper in stead of jalapeños. The pepper added good chili taste as well as a little smoky flavor to the dish and it was fantastic."
"I've made this recipe a couple times now and appreciate how easy it is to prepare. I double the chicken broth and add extra cream cheese. I usually use fresh roma tomatoes as directed, but one time I didn't have them on hand and used petite diced tomatoes from a can instead, and it was just as good. I usually serve with a baked potato instead of rice. Very yummy! Update - by using 1 cup broth & 4 oz cream cheese, there is plenty of sauce for 6 medium size chicken breast halves. I return the chicken to the pan at the end to heat through."
"I used two jalapenos and the sauce was not very hot. I will add another one the next time I make it. This recipe reminded me of green enchiladas. You could probably cook this in a crock pot all day and just add the cream cheese and sour cream before serving. I did not add the tomatoes since my family does not eat them."