"When I found this recipe, I knew I could lighten it up," says Katherine Major of Kingston, Ontario. "Everyone loves the smooth sauce, tender chicken and mild apple flavor.
Recommended: Top 10 Dinner Recipes Under 500 Calories
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 reduced-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Stir in the broth, tarragon, pepper and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add apples and reserved chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken to a serving platter.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir in remaining milk. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Creamy Apple-Mushroom Sauce in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p55
Reviews forChicken with Creamy Apple-Mushroom Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 21, 2011
"LOVED LOVED LOVED this! I served it over couscous with steamed green beans....definitely a "menu regular"!"