Chicken with Cranberry Compote
Everyone always said this chicken was a winner, and I guess they were right. I became a finalist in a national chicken cooking contest after submitting this recipe!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped tart apple
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place chicken in a large shallow bowl. Combine the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, place cranberries in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, saute celery and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium. Drain cranberries; add to saucepan with apple. Stir in the cranberry juice, apple juice and vinegar. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in coriander and allspice. Cover and keep warm.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned; turn. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook 10 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Serve chicken with cranberry compote.
Originally published as Chicken with Cranberry Compote in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.