Chicken with Cheese Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 35 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers), divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 envelope white sauce mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- Flatten chicken to 1/8-in. thickness. Place in a resealable plastic bag; add 1/4 cup salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in remaining salad dressing. Add 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, spinach and parsley. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Spoon about 1/2 cup spinach mixture on each chicken breast; roll up and overlap ends. Secure with a toothpick. Roll in remaining crumbs.
- Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the white sauce mix until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 15, 2014
Made this dish as the recipe calls for couldn't find the white sauce from 2 stores, so I used chicken gravy. tasted great but you must like spinach. Next time I make it I will use seasoned bread crumbs instead of plain saltines to see if I can kick up to flavors a little. my husband and I really enjoyed this. I will make it again.