Chicken with Cashews
My mom loves Chinese food. This easy recipe will help satisfy her desire when carry-out is not available.—Rick Shaw, Gainesville, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup whole salted cashews
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, stir-fry the celery, carrots and onion until crisp-tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and cashews; heat through. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 527 calories, 31g fat (6g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 1590mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Chicken with Cashews in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.