- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in soup and wine. Add rice and chicken; heat through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forChicken Wild Rice Soup
"This soup is awesome. I cook for a large family so increased a couple of the ingredients. I saute' the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms in a little butter and add meat from a whole roasted chicken, chopped. Also, increased the mushrooms and added 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. This is a winner!"
"We love this recipe. Great for cold winter days."
"This soup is awesome! Hot, hearty, and delicious, perfect for a cold winter night. I cooked up some chicken thighs and used quick-make wild rice to make the process a little faster. I doubled the spices (garlic powder, thyme, and parsley) since 1/4 a teaspoon of each didn't seem like much and used wine (I'd recommend using it instead of extra broth!) Also added a dollop of sour cream when I served it, made it even more creamy and yummy. Really tasty, highly recommend."
"This soup is wonderful! I chopped the carrots instead of grating them, otherwise followed recipe exactly. I know it says you can skip the wine, but do yourself a favor and don't! It adds such an amazing flavor!"
"Followed the recipe to a “t” - EXCELLENT! Added to my recipe file, one of the best I’ve tried. Great fall & winter soup. Thanks for sharing."
"Very good soup."