Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in soup and wine. Add rice and chicken; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 154 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Mar 20, 2018
loved this soup. I also chopped carrots instead of grating them
Jan 25, 2018
This soup is awesome. I cook for a large family so increased a couple of the ingredients. I saute' the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms in a little butter and add meat from a whole roasted chicken, chopped. Also, increased the mushrooms and added 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. This is a winner!
Jan 3, 2018
We love this recipe. Great for cold winter days.
Jan 1, 2018
Loved this soup, definitely a keeper! I followed it to a t but did not use wine. Was skeptical of the thyme as it had a different flavor and have not cooked with it before. Put it in slow cooker all afternoon and the thyme was a nice flavor at 1/4 tsp. Thank you for sharing.
Dec 22, 2017
This soup is awesome! Hot, hearty, and delicious, perfect for a cold winter night. I cooked up some chicken thighs and used quick-make wild rice to make the process a little faster. I doubled the spices (garlic powder, thyme, and parsley) since 1/4 a teaspoon of each didn't seem like much and used wine (I'd recommend using it instead of extra broth!) Also added a dollop of sour cream when I served it, made it even more creamy and yummy. Really tasty, highly recommend.
Dec 14, 2017
This soup is wonderful! I chopped the carrots instead of grating them, otherwise followed recipe exactly. I know it says you can skip the wine, but do yourself a favor and don't! It adds such an amazing flavor!
Dec 14, 2017
Followed the recipe to a “t” - EXCELLENT! Added to my recipe file, one of the best I’ve tried. Great fall & winter soup. Thanks for sharing.
Nov 23, 2017
Very good soup.
Nov 7, 2017
I wish I could have made this soup the way it is listed but due to picky eaters I had to leave out the mushrooms. Instead I added two cans of cream of mushroom and one can of cream of chicken and blended it. It still turned out really good.
Sep 28, 2017
Delicious! reviews are spot on! I skipped mushrooms and substituted cream of chicken soup and added spinach instead of celery.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.