Chicken Wild Rice Chowder
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2-2/3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, rice, cream and pepper; heat through.
1-1/3 cups: 371 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1369mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Dec 22, 2017
very good and easy. Used package of Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice.
Jan 27, 2017
This lacked a little bit of flavor but otherwise it was a really hearty and filling meal.
Jan 9, 2015
Excellent recipe I use everytime I make a turkey. I make home made turkey broth using the carcas and leftover turkey meat in this recipe. I also, per others suggestions, add potatoes, use a whole onion, uncle ben's wild grain ready rice, and double the recipe. IT IS EXCELLENT and always a hit in my family, after cooking I put the left overs in a casserole dish and bake to reheat, even better the next day!!
Dec 31, 1969
The whole family loved it. Excellent flavor. Definitley will make it again.
Oct 25, 2012
This is my husband's favorite soup recipe. I lighten things up by using Fat Free Half and Half. I also add 2-3 cloves of garlic to the veggies when I saute them. I also like to add potatoes to make it more hardy. I almost ALWAYS double this recipe.
Nov 18, 2011
BEST soup recipe to date. I used chicken stock instead of broth and I used Uncle Bens ready long grain / wild rice. I also bought a cooked chicken from Sams and used the breast meat....quick and easy. I made it tonite for the 3rd time this month
Feb 7, 2011
Very good. I used some cooked white rice (1 cup) instead of the wild rice and it was yummy. Will definitely make it again!
Feb 5, 2011
This is the BEST chicken and rice soup recipe I've ever made. My family LOVED it! It kept us warm during a snow storm-thanks for sharing!
Dec 21, 2010
needs more flavoring.
Oct 28, 2010
I liked it. I thought it would be bland, with only pepper being added. But the rice and chicken broth had a nice, mellow flavor to it.
I also used fat-free half and half.