Chicken Veggie Wraps
“I gathered bits and pieces of things I like about Southwest cooking to come up with this economical recipe. Serve with a green salad and vinaigrette dressing for a refreshing meal.” Kendra Katt - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 7 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Cook rice according to package directions. Stir in the tomato, chilies and 3 tablespoons lime juice.
- Meanwhile, combine the chili powder, cumin and salt; sprinkle over chicken. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook onion and peppers in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the brown sugar, chicken and remaining lime juice; heat through.
- Spoon 2/3 cup each of rice mixture and chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 395 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Roll-ups in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009
Nov 12, 2009
I grilled the chicken on my contact grill instead of in the pan. We loved this dish! Although it does add a little fat, a sprinkle of cheese and some sour cream makes it even better!