“I gathered bits and pieces of things I like about Southwest cooking to come up with this economical recipe. Serve with a green salad and vinaigrette dressing for a refreshing meal.” Kendra Katt - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Recommended: 32 Lunches To Spice Up Your Workday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 7 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Cook rice according to package directions. Stir in the tomato, chilies and 3 tablespoons lime juice.
- Meanwhile, combine the chili powder, cumin and salt; sprinkle over chicken. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook onion and peppers in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the brown sugar, chicken and remaining lime juice; heat through.
- Spoon 2/3 cup each of rice mixture and chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Veggie Wraps in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p53
Reviews forChicken Veggie Wraps
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 12, 2009
"I grilled the chicken on my contact grill instead of in the pan. We loved this dish! Although it does add a little fat, a sprinkle of cheese and some sour cream makes it even better!"