Chicken Veggie Strudel
I serve this hearty entree often at dinner parties and usually keep a few extra strudels in the freezer in case company unexpectedly shows up.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes4 strudels (6 servings each)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 cups finely chopped carrots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, tarragon and thyme
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 cups butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 24 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 1 package (15 ounces) seasoned bread crumbs
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the garlic, parsley, basil, tarragon, thyme and pepper. Add to chicken mixture; toss to coat.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken mixture; toss to coat.
- Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to avoid drying out). Brush with butter; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Repeat layers five times.
- Spread about 3-1/3 cups of filling down the center of dough to within 1 in of edges. Fold short sides 1 in. over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Brush with butter. Place seam side down in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Make three more strudels with remaining phyllo, butter and filling. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 344 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Chicken and Vegetable Strudel in Country Woman Christmas 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.