Chicken Veggie Strudel
I serve this hearty entree often at dinner parties and usually keep a few extra strudels in the freezer in case company unexpectedly shows up.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes4 strudels (6 servings each)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 cups finely chopped carrots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, tarragon and thyme
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 cups butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 24 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 1 package (15 ounces) seasoned bread crumbs
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the garlic, parsley, basil, tarragon, thyme and pepper. Add to chicken mixture; toss to coat.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken mixture; toss to coat.
- Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to avoid drying out). Brush with butter; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Repeat layers five times.
- Spread about 3-1/3 cups of filling down the center of dough to within 1 in of edges. Fold short sides 1 in. over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Brush with butter. Place seam side down in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Make three more strudels with remaining phyllo, butter and filling. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.