Chicken Tortilla Soup with Lime
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine tortilla strips, 1 teaspoon oil and salt. Seal bag and shake to coat. Arrange tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Remove to paper towels to cool.
- In a large saucepan, saute chicken in remaining oil until no longer pink and lightly browned. Add onion; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add broth and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn, chilies, cilantro and pepper. Cook until heated through. Stir in lime juice. Garnish with tortilla strips.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 221 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 13, 2012
Tasted just like the homemade soup from my local "Mexican Mom & Pop" restaurant that I love so much; she may have just lost a bit of my business.Easy to do and very tasty!
Nov 30, 2011
It wasn't a bad recipe, it just didn't have enough flavor for me. This has more of a broth base and I think my personal preferance is toward a creamy based chicken tortilla soup.
Oct 15, 2011
Next time I make it I will consider adding coconut milk to kick up the flavor and give it a Jamaican edge.
Aug 25, 2011
We love this recipe -I froze half of it and then added julienned red bell pepper and carrots and my husband loved it, I also added a little cubed chicken. We will fix this on a regular basis.