Chicken Tortilla Soup with Lime
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine tortilla strips, 1 teaspoon oil and salt. Seal bag and shake to coat. Arrange tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Remove to paper towels to cool.
- In a large saucepan, saute chicken in remaining oil until no longer pink and lightly browned. Add onion; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add broth and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn, chilies, cilantro and pepper. Cook until heated through. Stir in lime juice. Garnish with tortilla strips.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 221 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Feb 13, 2012
Tasted just like the homemade soup from my local "Mexican Mom & Pop" restaurant that I love so much; she may have just lost a bit of my business.Easy to do and very tasty!
Nov 30, 2011
It wasn't a bad recipe, it just didn't have enough flavor for me. This has more of a broth base and I think my personal preferance is toward a creamy based chicken tortilla soup.
Oct 15, 2011
Next time I make it I will consider adding coconut milk to kick up the flavor and give it a Jamaican edge.
Aug 25, 2011
We love this recipe -I froze half of it and then added julienned red bell pepper and carrots and my husband loved it, I also added a little cubed chicken. We will fix this on a regular basis.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.