Chicken Tortilla Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 1. In a saucepan, bring the broth, onion and celery to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Place in a large bowl; add chicken, tortillas, soup, chilies, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese and pepper.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with salsa and remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 cup: 456 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1323mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Tortilla Casserole
"Made this for dinner tonight. Very good flavor. I left out the celery because I am not a fan of it. I will fix it with tortilla chips instead of the flour tortilla shells next time the flour tortilla get mushy. My 15 yr old daughter 6 out of 10 primarily because of the tortilla shells."
"This is a good recipe which my family and I like."
"Tried this today made several additions #1 I added a pkg of Taco Seasoning, 1/2 Cup Frozen Corn, 1 Can Black Beans Rinsed, I used Tortilla Chips instead of Flour Tortillas served it with extra Green Chile's and Sour Cream it was excellent!!"
"As a "not-so-healthy" splurge meal, I was a bit disappointed as this dish wasn't super impressive. Good for one meal, but not a "keeper" recipe."
"I am a young wife and mother, and I'm always looking for different recipes to try. I came across this one today and tried it. My family absolutely loved it!! I sent a picture to my mom and she wants the recipe!! I altered a little bit though. I didn't use celery; I used more chicken broth and more cheese; I didn't use chiles; and I didn't quite measure anything... I just kept adding stuff until I though it looked right... Thank you!!"
"My Brooklyn apartment is generally a vegetarian household, but, given the February dreariness and lack of sunlight, I just craved this casserole dish that frequented school functions when I was growing up in Illinois. I replaced the flour tortillas with some local corn tortillas, left out the celery and added cilantro and finely-minced stems, added a bit of cumin and Mexican oregano and chopped smoked black olives, and used a store-bought salsa verde (half Frontera and half Brooklyn Salsa Company) to top and it was amazing. This is an excellent, solid, fool-proof recipe to play around with to your liking, and I can't thank the submitter enough for sharing it. :)"
"Fast and easy. I halved the recipe and used tortilla chips."
"Delicious. I added a can of black beans. Will make again."
"My family LOVES the recipee and it warms up great for lunches at work the next day!"
"I have made this recipe several times and each time was asked for the recipe. It is delicious and fast to make."
"I didn't use celery, and I added a little more broth. My family just loves this! I make it all the time."