- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, chilies, broth, soups and onion; set aside. Layer half of the tortillas in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, cutting to fit pan if desired. Top with half of the chicken mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forChicken Tortilla Bake
"instead of using tortilla shells, try with crunchy taco shells broken in half, or tortilla chips....also use sour cream instead of mushroom soup"
"Perfection! I grew up in Los Alamos and my mom served this casserole (minus the onion) at least once a month. I love the addition of the onion! Great recipe!"
"This recipe is a favorite in our house and is easy to make with grandkids. It can also be changed based on what you have on hand but please make it like it is written first before submitting a review. It's really good! I've also used corn tortillas, flour tortillas, substituted sour cream for one of the soups, added cilantro if I had it and used different cheeses. Cooked rotisserie chicken from the store makes it easier yet to put together on a busy night."
"We call this, Viva La chicken!!"
"Recipe seemed ok til it got to the canned soup...yuck Use a cheesy bechamel sauce instead!"
"I am no longer able to save recipes or find my previously saved recipes! Help!!"
"Very tasty especially good when accompanied by Trader Joes chimmichurri rice."
"I made half this recipe for 2 of us and it would have served 5. REALLY good! I used a can of rotel because i didn 't have canned chiles (not typical) and used more cheese than called for."