Chicken & Tortellini Spinach Salad
Not only is this attractive salad easy to make, but it is, delicious, light and filling as well.—Michelle Ashton, St. Johns, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 packages (9 ounces each) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 1 package (22 ounces) frozen grilled chicken breast strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 slices red onion, halved
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the spinach, chicken, onion, cranberries and feta cheese. Drain pasta. Cool for 5 minutes. Add to spinach mixture.
- For vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over spinach mixture; gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 432 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Chicken Tortellini Spinach Salad with Balsamic Tomato Vinaigrette in Diabetes Spring 2013 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.