Chicken & Tomato Risotto
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Carefully stir in 1 cup warm broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.)
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, cheese and reserved chicken; cook and stir until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 462 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1186mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 16, 2013
It was good but not a 5 star
Aug 19, 2013
This was really good. It does not really reheat very well though. Much better than the first risotto recipe I tried. Would be good with shrimp also.
Oct 28, 2012
Good and easier than I thought it would be. Adding a spring of fresh minced basil to the top before serving. Very good. Will definitely make again and keep single servings on hand for work lunches.
Aug 1, 2012
Good!! Added fresh tomatoes too!
Apr 25, 2012
Super good-added chunks of zucchini
Apr 20, 2012
It was amazing! I found it very filling with the chicken so if you make it as a side dish, I just added zucchini, eggplant, and portobello mushrooms and it was amazing as well!
Aug 30, 2011
Delicious! Comes out perfect every time.
Jun 7, 2011
This was so easy and it was very tasty. I used a spicy red pepper sauce and leftover chicken from our BBQ the night before. My family loved it!
Feb 28, 2011
So easy and so delicious! I added asparagus which really added a nice fresh texture. I also replaced onion with leek. This is definitely one of my favourite risottos to make!
Jul 6, 2010
Excellent dish indeed!! My extra added touch, is to add a cup of tomato's. Loved it!!