- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Hot cooked basmati rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Add chicken, jalapeno and bay leaf. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove jalapeno and bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream until smooth; gradually stir into sauce. Cook, covered, on high 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChicken Tikka Masala
"Just made this for dinner and the whole family loved it. Did not change a thing and it was just scrumptious...will be making again for sure!!!"
"Flavors are great but you will have way too much sauce! I almost doubled the amount of chicken and there was still a ton of sauce!"
"My family loved it--delicious and easy too."
"My family loves this! I will sometimes cook the chicken, onion, garlic, and ginger in a skillet first. Then cook for a shorter amount of time. I have also exchanged the cream for low-fat milk, without missing anything."
"Delicious! The whole family loved it!"