Chicken Thighs with Sausage
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, celery and onion. Top with chicken and sausage.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, garlic, hot sauce, seasonings and, if desired, browning sauce. Spoon over meats. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 675mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Feb 10, 2015
This was TERRIBLE! Might be ok if the amount of the spices were cut way down.
Apr 7, 2014
Very good. I did not use the browning sauce. I also forgot to start making it in time so I cooked @ 350 for about 70 mins, covered.
Mar 31, 2014
Quick & Easy. Husband loved it.
Feb 7, 2013
very good. next time will omit liquid browning as it gave the dish a rather unpleasant appearance.
Mar 19, 2012
I used Italian sausage...nixed the allspice, used fennel seed. Excellent dinner for family or company. I made roasted potatoes as a side dish, and made a chicken potato salad with the leftovers.
Mar 18, 2012
I thought the spices were much too strong, no one in my family liked it.
Oct 3, 2011
Excellent flavor combination. My family thought it was great. I made it in the oven instead of a crock pot, with the same tender results.
Oct 3, 2011
Excellent flavor. My family thought it was great.
Jul 31, 2011
This was a big hit with my husband. The chicken is so flavorful and tender. I did double the sausage the second time I made it, that way there was enough sausage to mix with every bite of chicken. Delicious!
Feb 21, 2011
My whole family loved it! The chicken is so tender and flavorful. I did use a few more chicken thighs and it barely served 6 adults (3 males).