"This refreshing recipe is totally flexible," Lily Julow writes from Lawrenceville, Georgia. "You can use yellow onion instead of red, lemon juice instead of lime and Monterey Jack instead of cheddar cheese. Don't like hot sauce? Leave it out. I believe in making a recipe your own."
Recommended: 21 Recipes to Make for Taco Tuesday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 pound chicken tenderloins
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 plum tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry roasted peanuts
- In a large nonstick skillet, bring water to a boil. Reduce heat; add chicken. Poach, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain and cool slightly. Cut chicken into cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cilantro, onion, lime juice, oil, pepper sauce, lime peel, taco seasoning and chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Just before serving, toss the chicken mixture with the lettuce, tomato, cheese and peanuts. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Chicken Salad in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p31
Reviews forChicken Taco Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 23, 2015
"This recipe was ok, but didn't wow me."