- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 pounds skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Place the parsnips, carrots, celery, sweet potato and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken; sprinkle with sage, salt and pepper. Add broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the slow cooker.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Add gnocchi. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Season with hot pepper sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forChicken Stew with Gnocchi
"Will for sure add this to my recipe book! I did make it in a dutch oven (which cooks faster..my mother told me this, and believe me it does). Also I used yams instead of sweet pots and they get soft quicker so you have to be careful. Also I did not have any parsnips but used extra yams since I love them. The soup is delicious!!!!"
"I'm going to try to adapt this to my new pressure cooker - I don't like to leave appliances untended."
"delicious and healthy, my family ate this up and asked for more!"
"Wonderful recipe! I am making it a again for a second time and can't wait!"
"As with most recipes I try on this site I had to modify to accomodate for ingredients I did have vs. what I didn't have. Cut up regular potatoes in place of the gnocci...used baby carrots and pearl onions, no celery. Very simple, easy meal that the entire family enjoyed."