My mother usually didn't care for dumplings. But she raved about this stew...dumplings and all. It's a down-home delicious meal that I make often for my family.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 pound new potatoes, quartered
- 3 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place chicken and water in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Skim fat. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return to broth. Add next nine ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and parsley. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into simmering stew. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the dumplings are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Stew with Dumplings in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p45
Reviews forChicken Stew with Dumplings
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2015
"This was delicious and easy! I live in high altitude and didn't even have to make adjustments."