Chicken & Spinach Mostaccioli
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Thinly sliced fresh basil
- Cook mostaccioli according to package directions for al dente. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine tomatoes and boiling water; let stand 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in broth and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach, chicken, drained tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Drain mostaccioli; add to the pan. Cook until heated through and spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 527 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 997mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Mar 6, 2019
What I’m having tonight omg so good !
Jan 26, 2019
Why I thought 2 Tbsp of flour would thicken this sauce is beyond me. The flavor was good but the sauce just was way too runny. I will make this again but adjust the amount of flour.
Jun 12, 2015
My sauce came out too thin, though I stirred and stirred and waited and waited. Used fresh Roma tomatoes instead of the sun-dried tomatoes, but the tomatoes stayed firm and did not contribute to the thin sauce.
Apr 15, 2014
Yum! Cooked the chicken along with the garlic and onion, then added fresh mushroom and Italian seasoning blend. I misread the recipe (oops) and put in a can of drained diced tomatoes. Turned out great and my husband liked it. Think it would also be very good as a meatless sauce.
Sep 24, 2013
For those who don't know where to find sun-dried tomatoes NOT in oil, look in the produce section. I used all of the ingredients and loved the taste of fresh basil sprinkled on top. I did change the amounts of some of the ingredients by cutting the chicken in half and adding extra spinach. Still great tasting . . . . I licked the bowl.