Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken over medium heat in oil in batches on both sides; drain. Return all of the chicken to the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, brown sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and ginger; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180°.
- Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 583 calories, 26g fat (6g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 2753mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 16, 2014
I made these for dinner tonight and it's delicious. Thank you very much for sharing your recipe.
Apr 8, 2014
We liked this after I played with the sauce some, I added more ketchup because the soy sauce was a little over powering.
Apr 1, 2014
I thought this was very good, I was just not overly impressed. Simple to put together.
Nov 20, 2012
Mar 2, 2012
These were okay. The idea is a good one, but the sauce had a bitterness to it that we didn't like, which I think was due to the soy sauce. There was also a lot of sauce to throw away....wasted ingredients. We may like them better with a sauce that doesn't have the soy in it. I love soy sauce in many things, but not in this case.
Feb 4, 2012
Sliced mushrooms and sliced water chestnuts are an excellant edition to this recipe. Just add when the liquid ingredients are added to the chicken.
Dec 6, 2011
I have been making this for 2 yrs now, always yummy and my husband loves it which is saying alot since he isn't a huge chicken fan. The sauce is indeed the best and you could use it for other meats, I would think it would be great on pork.
Sep 21, 2011
I concur with everyone else, very tasty, and just wish i'd had more chicken after it was all gone.
Sep 1, 2011
Wow! If you closed your eyes and ate the chicken you would think you were eating ribs! Saved the sauce to use for another time. Will definitely be using this sauce recipe again and again.
Mar 17, 2011
OMG, this recipe is amazing. i made this on a whim because i had all the ingredients and i was looking for something different. my entire family went nuts for it. the sauce is amazing. my boyfriend saved the leftover sauce and put it on pretty much everything he ate for the next couple of days. he thinks the sauce is better than any store bought BBQ sauce he has ever had. definitely will be making this for many many many years to come.