- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil in batches on both sides; drain. Return all of the chicken to the pan.
- In a bowl, combine the water, brown sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and ginger; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forChicken Spareribs
"I made these for dinner tonight and it's delicious. Thank you very much for sharing your recipe."
"We liked this after I played with the sauce some, I added more ketchup because the soy sauce was a little over powering."
"I thought this was very good, I was just not overly impressed. Simple to put together."
"These were okay. The idea is a good one, but the sauce had a bitterness to it that we didn't like, which I think was due to the soy sauce. There was also a lot of sauce to throw away....wasted ingredients. We may like them better with a sauce that doesn't have the soy in it. I love soy sauce in many things, but not in this case."
"Sliced mushrooms and sliced water chestnuts are an excellant edition to this recipe. Just add when the liquid ingredients are added to the chicken."
"I concur with everyone else, very tasty, and just wish i'd had more chicken after it was all gone."
"Wow! If you closed your eyes and ate the chicken you would think you were eating ribs! Saved the sauce to use for another time. Will definitely be using this sauce recipe again and again."
"OMG, this recipe is amazing. i made this on a whim because i had all the ingredients and i was looking for something different. my entire family went nuts for it. the sauce is amazing. my boyfriend saved the leftover sauce and put it on pretty much everything he ate for the next couple of days. he thinks the sauce is better than any store bought BBQ sauce he has ever had. definitely will be making this for many many many years to come."