Chicken, Smashed Potatoes & Gravy
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes and water. Microwave, covered, on high for 10-12 minutes or just until tender. Cool slightly; drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add chicken, vegetables, garlic, bay leaves and 1 teaspoon pepper. Pour broth and wine over chicken and vegetables. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° and potatoes are tender. Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil.
- Strain cooking juices, reserving potatoes and cooking juices; discard remaining vegetables and bay leaves. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with cream cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and enough cooking juices to reach desired consistency; keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in 1 cup cooking juices, milk and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard remaining cooking juices. Slice chicken; serve with potatoes, gravy and, if desired, chives.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked chicken with 2/3 cup potatoes and 1/4 cup gravy: 456 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 927mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 37g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2018
For those of us that realize the damaging effects, to humans and food, of a microwave oven, would you PLEASE at least provide a conventional cooking recipe!!
Mar 24, 2017
This Chicken, Smashed Potatoes & Gravy recipe is good. The chicken was tender and the potatoes yummy. I did not discard the vegetables. Instead, we ate the carrots and onions. I followed the recipe as written. Next time, I will add thyme and sage for more flavor.
Jul 13, 2016
The potatoes in this dish are delicious, but after only 3 hours my chicken was a little dry. I'm glad I made the gravy for it, but that could have used a little more flavor.