Chicken Skewers with Sweet & Spicy Marmalade
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Broil: 5 min.
Makes8 servings (1 cup sauce)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; cut lengthwise into 1-in.-wide strips. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine oil, soy sauce, garlic and pepper. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add jalapeno; cook and stir until tender. Add ginger; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat; stir in marmalade, lime juice, orange juice concentrate and salt.
- Preheat broiler. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread chicken strips, weaving back and forth, onto eight metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Broil 6 in. from heat 2-4 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with sauce.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 skewer with 2 tablespoons sauce: 180 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Mar 26, 2017
This was okay. The orange marmalade flavor over powered things for me. I may try this recipe again but try to change a few things for my taste.
Feb 24, 2017
For Meariza, you do not preheat broiler for 4 hours! The directions should have stated that after you marinate the chicken for 4 hours, then you would preheat the broiler.
Feb 23, 2017
Recipe is good, but preheating the broiler for a minimum of 4 hours seems excessive. I am worried about my electrical bill after leaving it on all night.
Jan 5, 2014
Delicious. Made as written.
Feb 3, 2013
Very good! I don't like jalapenos, so I added a little shake of red pepper flakes. Chicken was very juicy. Will be making again. Thanks!
Jan 27, 2013
Easy to make and so delicious!
Jul 23, 2011
I made this for a backyard b-b-q....it was so easy and the end results were amazing...not one was left behind ...followed the exact directions, made no changes
Apr 13, 2011
Loved this recipe! I have never broiled chicken in the oven like this and was a little hesitant, but it turned out great! Loved the sauce too! Next time I will leave a little of the insides of the jalapenos for more kick! It wasn't spicy at all. Will defintely make again...can't wait to serve it to company!