Chicken Sausage Pita Pockets
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves, warmed
- Optional: Sliced tomato and plain Greek yogurt
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add zucchini and yellow squash; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in basil, sausage and mushroom mixture; heat through. Serve in pitas. If desired, add tomato and yogurt.
Nutrition Facts2 filled pita halves: 376 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 736mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 2, 2018
My husband and son go for these pita sandwiches whether for a meal or a snack in the field. They are easy to prepare and you can easily change up the ingredients for whatever you have on hand.
Jul 4, 2016
These are a great easy weeknight dinner! My 7-year-old gobbled them down and asked for seconds, which is great for something with vegetables and whole grains. We used chicken and apple sausage because it was what I had on hand.
Jun 14, 2016
Delicious, quick and easy--everything I look for in a nutritious weekday evening meal. We had our pita pickets with fresh corn on the cob on the side and felt like we'd had a summer garden feast. Excellent recipe. The only thing I added was a little seasoning salt.