Chicken Sausage Pita Pockets
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves, warmed
- Sliced tomato and plain Greek yogurt, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add zucchini and yellow squash; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in basil, sausage and mushroom mixture; heat through. Serve in pitas. If desired, add tomato and yogurt.
Nutrition Facts2 filled pita halves: 376 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 736mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
May 2, 2018
My husband and son go for these pita sandwiches whether for a meal or a snack in the field. They are easy to prepare and you can easily change up the ingredients for whatever you have on hand.
Jul 4, 2016
These are a great easy weeknight dinner! My 7-year-old gobbled them down and asked for seconds, which is great for something with vegetables and whole grains. We used chicken and apple sausage because it was what I had on hand.
Jun 14, 2016
Delicious, quick and easy--everything I look for in a nutritious weekday evening meal. We had our pita pickets with fresh corn on the cob on the side and felt like we'd had a summer garden feast. Excellent recipe. The only thing I added was a little seasoning salt.