Chicken sausage comes in many flavors, so I try different ones when I make pitas with fresh basil and veggies, inspired by the Greek gyro. —Christina Price, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Recommended: Handheld Recipes for Busy People On-The-Go
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves, warmed
- Sliced tomato and plain Greek yogurt, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add zucchini and yellow squash; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in basil, sausage and mushroom mixture; heat through. Serve in pitas. If desired, add tomato and yogurt. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Sausage Pita Pockets in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016
Reviews forChicken Sausage Pita Pockets
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review